David B. JohnstonMember phone: 425.822.9281 fax: 425.828.0908
Legal Assistant: Kathryn Barr
Managing Partner David Johnston’s practice is centered on real estate transactions. He also practices in secured transactions, creditor rights, contracts and commercial and construction litigation. He has been with the firm for over 20 years and his background litigating real estate and commercial disputes greatly assists his real estate transaction practice.
His real estate clients include national and regional developers and builders, school and hospital districts, commercial landlords and tenants, and real estate buyers and sellers. He provides counsel to and represents clients in real estate acquisitions and sales, commercial leasing and subleasing matters, easement issues, due diligence investigations, secured financing transactions involving banks and private lenders, and land use matters. In addition to drafting real estate purchase and sale agreements, leases and easements, he often works with brokers and other professionals in the course of land transactions, providing practical advice on business deal points and evaluating due diligence materials. His clients appreciate his pragmatic approach to transactions and the practice of law.
Mr. Johnston also frequently assists real estate clients in a variety of legal matters related to their businesses, including contract representation and commercial litigation. When disputes arise, he helps clients resolve matters if possible prior to litigation, and if an acceptable resolution cannot be achieved, he represents clients in mediation, arbitration, and litigation.
- Represented landowners in negotiating, documenting and closing complex vacant land transaction in excess of $20.0 million with national builder.
- Comprehensive representation of school district in review of potential school sites and the negotiation, due diligence review and closing of transactions.
- Represented health care client in developing and leasing substantial stand-alone clinics.
- Represented property owner in negotiating and drafting long-term ground lease with national retail tenant.
- Retained as local real estate counsel for national, publically-held developer and builder.
- Represented tenant franchisee in leasing multiple retail locations.
- Represented property owners in the negotiation and documentation of commercial real estate loans.
“Creating and Drafting Easements with Success,” National Business Institute, February 2006 & 2007
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Board Member Snohomish School District, 2006 to Present
- East King County Bar Association, Vice President, 2002, President 2003
- World Association for Children and Parents, President and Board Member, 1993 – 2002
David is married to Sarah and they enjoy raising their two teenage boys, Benjamin and Joshua. When not busy with work, school board activities and watching his boys participate in sports, David enjoys skiing, biking, hiking, travel and keeping up with his rural property in Snohomish.
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 1991
- B.A., Washington State University, 1986, summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- East King County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington