Kevin B. HansenMember phone: 425.822.9281 fax: 425.828.0908
Legal Assistant: Holly McGinley
Kevin Hansen’s practice is focused on employment law, school districts including special education, real estate law, and business and transactions matters. He also represents clients in appellate proceedings, and, together with other firm attorneys, serves the firm’s school district clients.
His employment practice is dedicated to providing employer clients with proactive advice to decrease litigation exposure through implementing best employment practices and developing employee handbooks and policies. He also provides counsel in response to specific matters concerning employment contracts, hiring and firing, wage and hour issues, trade secret protection, and discrimination.
Mr. Hansen is experienced and represents school districts in special education counseling including special education, policies, procedures and placements. He is experienced in helping school, administration, and IEP teams with IDEA, ADA, and Section 504.
Mr. Hansen’s real estate practice centers on serving the needs of developers, construction companies, property owners, and other clients regarding land acquisitions and divestitures, leases, easements, boundary disputes, and other real property matters. He also represents borrowers in securing bank financing for real estate acquisitions.
His business representation is devoted to serving the transaction and general business legal needs of companies. He frequently represents businesses in confidentiality, non-compete, and purchase and sale agreements, and provides counsel on a wide variety of other transactional and business matters.
Public works construction litigation
Represented public entity in lawsuit by general contractor alleging over $2.4M in damages, obtained ruling dismissing claims on summary judgment, and successfully defended ruling on appeal.
Corporation shareholder dispute litigation
Represented founder of company ousted by two other shareholders in share valuation dispute, settling case on favorable terms after the first week of jury trial.
Asset purchase agreement
Represented seller of the assets of a family-owned limited liability company, resolved conflicts among members of company, and successfully negotiated lease for asset purchaser.
Unfair competition/trade secrets dispute
Represented employer accused of using trade secret information to unfairly compete, ending in a positive settlement of the dispute for the employer.
Boundary line dispute litigation
Represented owners of lakefront vacation property in boundary dispute with neighbors, obtained court ruling that enabled clients to retain disputed property, and negotiated a favorable settlement for the owners.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington Council of School Attorneys
- Greater Kirkland Chamber of Commerce, Executive Board Member and Treasurer, 2011 – 2014
- Kirkland Downtown Association, Board Member, 2012 – 2014
- Rotary Club of Kirkland Downtown, Board Member, 2012 – 2014
- Eastside Legal Aid Clinic, Volunteer Attorney
- Adjunct Faculty, Northwest University
Honors / Awards / Unique Recognition
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Paul J. Kelly, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 1998-1999
When not practicing law, Kevin enjoys hiking, skiing, camping, biking, and hanging out with his wife and four kids.
- J.D., Notre Dame Law School, magna cum laude, 1998
- Notre Dame Law Review, Editor in Chief, 1997-1998
- Notre Dame Law Scholar, 1995-1998
- M.T.S., Regent College, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 1991
- B.A., Western Washington University, 1984
- Washington State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- East King County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court