Rebecca L. PennAssociate phone: 425.822.9281 fax: 425.828.0908
Legal Assistant: Laura Faulstich
Rebecca Penn concentrates her practice in civil litigation, including business, zoning and land use, construction, employment, and public hospital and school districts. She has significant experience as a trial and arbitration lawyer. She has represented clients in court and tried cases to verdict in both bench and jury trials. Ms. Penn has litigated cases in the areas of healthcare, business and employment, land use, premises liability, construction defect, insurance coverage and bad faith claims. Her current practice is focused on litigation, primarily representing school districts, hospital districts, contractors and developers, individuals, and corporations. Ms. Penn also advises and represents clients in conflict resolution, working to avoid litigation through successful negotiation and mediation.
- Represented a commercial developer to defeat an injunction brought by an adjacent property owner who sought to prohibit the developer’s building of a condominium. The developer was permitted to continue with his operations.
- Represented an energy company to win a motion for summary judgment in a case involving a catastrophic injury on a lake owned by the energy company. The Court agreed with her interpretation of the state recreational use of land and water statute and the ruling was denied review by the appellate courts.
- Assisted in the successful representation of an energy company as a plaintiff in a breach of contract case against a company responsible for installing a nuclear alarm system on a reactor. The representation resulted in a favorable settlement to the client.
- Developed legal theories to successfully obtain a large recovery for a client against a corporate fiduciary in a surcharge claim pertaining to losses the estate had suffered by delays in sales of securities during a declining market.
- Represented a commercial property owner to successfully defend against allegations of breach of privacy and first amendment rights regarding property surveillance. Drafted and argued successful motions for summary judgment dismissing the majority of plaintiff’s claims and resulting in voluntary dismissal of the case by the plaintiff.
- Represented property owner in trespass and property damage claim against the Washington State Department of Transportation with resulting settlement to the benefit of client.
- Represented property owner to successfully preserve the use of easement during foreclosure proceedings of servient estate.
- Assisted with the successful representation of a national commercial insurance company in defending against a bad faith claim involving catastrophic injuries resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Acted as second chair trial counsel in the successful representation of a state healthcare provider in a medical negligence case, winning a defense verdict.
- Acted as second chair trial counsel in the successful representation of a hospital in a premises liability and personal injury case, winning a defense verdict.
- Acted as second chair trial counsel in the successful representation of a general surgeon in a medical negligence case, winning a defense verdict.
Ms. Penn is an avid hiker, skier, and swimmer, taking advantage of all that is offered by the Pacific Northwest. She lives in Kirkland with her husband, John, who is an orthopaedic surgeon in private practice in Kirkland and Bellevue. They have a son and a daughter, Jack and Julianne.
J.D., Seattle University School of Law, cum laude, 2007
B.A., University of Washington, Political Science, 2003
Washington State Bar Association
American Bar Association
King County Bar Association
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Lycoming Bar Association