Our school law practice is devoted to serving the full range of legal needs for our school district clients. We understand the challenges and issues that school districts and administrators face, and our experience enables us to provide considered legal advice at a moment’s notice. We also provide transactional counsel and litigation representation on a variety of matters and issues.
Washington School District Lawyers
We serve as general and outside counsel to school districts in Western Washington, providing timely and sound legal advice and representation on matters such as:
- Contracts and business matters
- Real estate and land use
- School policies and procedures
- Professional misconduct, discipline, discharge, and non-renewal
- Collective bargaining agreements, grievances and arbitration
- Public Records Act
- Open Public Meetings Act
- First Amendment issues, including free speech and religion
- Privacy issues and student and teacher rights
- Student discipline and appeals
- Laws against discrimination
- Board responsibilities and procedures
- Background checks and internal investigations
- Construction and capital facilities projects, including drafting of contracts for architects, contractors, general conditions, and representation from the bidding stage through project closeout and claims
- School choice, transfers and boundary issues
Providing Timely Advice on Urgent Matters
School administrators and principals routinely face unique issues that have immediate legal consequences and must take action quickly. We develop close relationships with school administrators so that we can provide accessible service when urgent matters arise. In these situations, we understand that those responsible often must take action quickly. With decades of school law practice, we provide accessible, timely and sound advice.
Transactional and Litigation Counsel
Many of the legal matters that affect school districts are similar to those of businesses, requiring representation on contract, employment, real estate, and tax issues. We are experienced in each of these practice areas, as well as how the particular nuances of each area pertain to school districts.
We represent school districts in many litigation and administrative matters, including Washington state and federal courts, PERC, PDC, the Washington Human Rights Commission, EEOC, OCR, and OSPI.
Proactive School Counsel
As school counsel, we advise school districts on legislative and other legal matters that are likely to affect school operations. In some circumstances, such matters require changes to school policies and procedures, and we are available to draft and help clients implement new policies and procedures.
We provide in-service training on a wide variety of legal issues. Our training sessions involve current issues and new topics of concern to our clients, including search and seizure, freedom of expression, religion, employment discrimination, harassment, intimidation and bullying, interaction and boundary issues with students, personnel and student policies, and public records.
- Lake Washington School District
- Riverview School District
- Snoqualmie Valley School District
- Tacoma School District